Founded in 1096 by Pierre de L’Etoile, le Prieuré de Sainte-Marie-Madeleine-de-Loups is situated on land donated by Lucie de Brenne, also called Lady of Mézières and by Robert IV de Buzançais. Managed by successive priors, the priory prospered and achieved a certain notoriety in the region.
However, the 14th and 15th centuries were not so favourable (Philippe Le Bel took money to fund his foreign expeditions, the papacy, having sought refuge in Avignon, created a papal tax, whilst the invasions of the English during the 100 Years War made matters even worse). Nevertheless, the Prieuré benefitted from the good management of the priors Pierre and Guillaume de Fougères. Between 1470 and 1500, they pursued an important policy centred on the lakes: the creation of new lakes and important ditches, whilst negotiating the rights for ploughing the land.